On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 23:40:01 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.bergl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just tested on Lazarus inside the Pi2B and it was simple to do a MD5
>sum of one's own executable:
>
>strMD5 := MD5Print(MD5File(Application.Exename));
>
>The only problem is that it seems to take quite some time to do
>(several seconds) is that normal?

OUCH!
My test application created in Lazarus contains a single small form
with two edit boxes and two buttons.
THe code behind each button is 3-4 lines each invoking MD5 functions.

I was intrigued by the location of the executable shown in the
messages box:
/root/tmp/project1
So I decided to go there and have a look at the file itself.
This is what I found (had to do sudo su to be allowed to view this
location):
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24493881 Oct  3 21:35 project1

So this little program is 24.5 Mbytes in size!
Amazing and no wonder the MD5 calculation takes such a long time!
Why is FPC producing such an incredibly big program file?

And why is Lazarus running as root? I would have believed it was using
the Pi user rather than root? (Maybe this is a Lazarus question rather
than FPC).

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden