Jonas Maebe-2 wrote
> On the contrary, it is fundamental. Changing defaults in existing
> language modes, or changing the default language mode that is used,
> would break existing code with as only reason that we wouldn't want to
> look bad when people use the compiler for the first time and don't
> realise what the default mode is/entails. We're not about projecting a
> particular image, we're about trying not to break things that already
> work as far as the language is concerned.

I agree your point but with some limitations.
IMHO, the period of 10 years as a maximum is very sufficient for migration
or we stay with the old version of compiler and common libraries.
On other hands, there are different breaks of compatibility.
The TP mode can be applied globally by compiler switch and it solve the
problem of default mode.
But adding the functions/methods/properties to existing classes of common
libraries breaks the old code that should be rewritten (if the error is
detected by compiler).
The second case is really important because there is no workaround.

-----
Serguei