Hi,

This question really applies for all Unicode encodings (UTF-8, UTF-16
and UTF-32). In the modern world you simply can't use indexed access
into Object Pascal strings to retrieve a "character" (loosely what you
see on the screen - ignoring combining diacritics). In my own projects I
have custom written Iterators for various data types like StringList,
ObjectLists etc, and that includes strings.

I know FPC RTL supports the Iterator concept (not as advanced as what I
have implemented), but still useful. As far as I know there are some
standard iterator classes already implemented. Does FPC include such
iterators for the various string types?

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/