On 31/10/16 20:30, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
Am 30.10.2016 um 19:11 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
On 2016-10-30 17:24, Sven Barth wrote:
Same here...

First Lazarus, now FPC. Can we not switch fpc-pascal to a NNTP newsgroup

I used NNTP years ago the last time. How does marking read messages work when
reading a group with
multiple devices (mobile, tablet, notebook, pc)?

In a per-user database on the device I think.

I'm not aware of any NNTP superset that either allows a user to store personal state (i.e. the last-unread message number) on an intermediate server, or allows multiple users to share state by editing existing messages ** . That's not saying that there's not scope for something to be written, and this could possibly mesh with Graeme's comments in fpc-other regarding his custom client.

** Larry Wall, amongst many other people, looked at this. However broadly speaking NNTP passed its heyday at about the same time that INN v2 was released, and that implementation had sufficient flaws that it hastened the protocol's descent to obscurity.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk