On Fri, 6 Jan 2017, Krzysztof wrote:

Hi,

I have installed FPC 2.6.4 for a long time on my Linux with install.sh
script in /usr dirs. I would like to install FPC 3.0.0 but keep 2.6.4 as
"default" version due to a lot of company projects which I don't want
reconfigure. I want to install FPC 3.0.0 somewhere in my home dir and
configure only my new personal projects to use 3.0 version. Can anyone
instruct me how to do that to not mess up current FPC configuration?

What I want to do is:
1. Install FPC 3.0.0 in home dir
2. Make copy of Lazarus source and rebuild it with FPC 3.0.0. The question
is how to force "make" command to use FPC 3.0 from home dir, not default
2.6.4
3. Use Lazarus with separated dir via "startlazarus --pcp=~/.lazarus_FPC3"

What I do is to have all installs in /usr/local/lib/fpc/$VERSION
and in /usr/local/bin I have symlinks

fpc

ppcx64-3.0.0 -> /usr/local/lib/fpc/3.0.0/ppcx64
ppcx64-2.6.4 -> /usr/local/lib/fpc/2.6.4/ppcx64

and the same for versions back to the mists of time...

In your .fpc config file you can use
#IFDEF VER3
/path/to/your/private/fpc
#else
/path/to/public/fpc
#endif

but if they're all installed in the same place, you can use the default, fpc
will figure out the correct version because of the $fpcversion macro it sets
up by default.

and when I run make, I use

make PP=ppcx64-x.y.z

Depending on the version I need. this works since years for me.