On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 12:24:39 +0100 (CET), "Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR)"
<char...@scenergy.dfmk.hu> wrote:

>Hi
>
>On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> I went ahead and tried the command but it failed miserably...
>>
>> pi@rpi3-jessie:~/dev/fpc/3.0.2RC1 $ make all install
>> FPC="/home/pi/bin/fpc/3.0.0"
>> INSTALL_PREFIX="/home/pi/bin/fpc/3.0.2RC1" OPT="-dFPC_ARMHF"
>
>With FPC, You need to specify the whole path to the ppcarm binary, not the
>directory you installed 3.0 into. As I said, you need nothing in fact from
>3.0, but ppcarm.

Thanks,
I mis-interpreted your post to mean the *directory* of the compiler.
After adding /ppcarm in the end it did complete!

Then I went looking for the new ppcarm compiler and found it in these
locations:

/home/pi/dev/fpc/3.0.2RC1/compiler/ppcarm (in the source tree)
/home/pi/bin/fpc/3.0.2RC1/lib/fpc/3.0.2/ppcarm (in the install tree)

I guess that the first location is the result of make all command and
the second of the install command?

My question now is why the compiler binary was placed into the
subdirectory lib/fpc/3.0.2/ of the INSTALL_PREFIX path rather than in
that directory itself?
And it seems like the other compiled binaries are collected in one
place, but that is also a subdirectory...
So all of the other binaries were placed in
/home/pi/bin/fpc/3.0.2RC1/bin

Is there a reason for this strange behaviour? Especially why the
actual new compiler was placed in such a remote place?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden