On 2017-05-12 11:22, Marco van de Voort wrote:
Lies, damned lies and benchmarks.

:) I went as far as I could with my project and Object Pascal. I welcome a compiler guru to dissect the FPC and C binaries and do ASM comparisons to see where GCC did a better job - in the hopes that such compiler optimisations could one day filter back into FPC. That is all above my skill level. I also fully understand that optimisation at such a level is not a top priority for the Free Pascal team, and the effort vs gains vs targeted (real-world) usage is very limited. Like I said, FPC is very good at other things, which is fine for 99% of use cases (mine and others).

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/