Karoly Balogh to Anton Shepelev:

>>But  this is from the Language guide -- a document
>>that descrbes the language in a  platform-agnostic
>>way...
>
>Then  you  have a very different TP manual than me.
>Mine is really only for the specific  16-bit  case,
>and  there is no platform agnostic allowance how it
>would work on 32/64-bit in that manual. (or even in
>different  16-bit  models  than  implemented,  e.g.
>huge, something they did know, since Turbo C++  has
>it)

I used this one:

  http://turbopascal.org/files/Turbo_Pascal_Version_7.0_Language_Guide_1992.pdf

and the built-in TP documentation:

  http://putka.upm.si/langref/turboPascal/

Neither  source makes any exceptions about the 'far'
and 'near' reserved words.  Thence I concluded  that
even  though on some platforms these concepts may be
useless, they are still part  of  the  Turbo  Pascal
language  and  shall be used as described regarldess
of architecture even if for cross-platform  compati-
bility.

I  now  see  from  other  replies that the -Mtp mode
helps compile TP programs in FPC but not vice versa,
which  makes me wonder why pointer arithmetics is so
limited in -Mtp that one must use Inc  and  Dec  in-
stead of the direct '+' and '-' operators.

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.