On 06.09.2017 18:03, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
Quite likely. It did all sound awfully familiar. :-)
Is there even a thinkable solution ?

To me the offering of two incompatible kinds of interfaces (not regarding the external libraries but the language construct) seems rather odd, especially as the language construct is decently usable without attaching to an external library. In fact to me it's already off to create a language construct based on the dedicated makeup of some external library at all. It would be better to have an independent and usable language construct that just offers means to optionally attach to certain types of libraries.

OTOH, another related construct already discusses multiple times (and seemingly offered by Embarcadero) is ref counted "normal" objects. But those are known to introduce certain pitfalls, as well.

-Michael