Graeme started a short thread on databases in "The Other Place" a few days ago, but I thought this might be of sufficient general relevance to raise here.

I had a system outage this morning, with all apps suddenly losing their connectivity to the PostgreSQL server.

It turned out that the cause of that was that Debian had done an unattended upgrade of the Postgres server, and by restarting it had killed all persistent connections. There is no "Can we kill your database when we feel like it?" question during Debian installation.

I anticipate that the same problem will affect other databases or software to which a client program maintains a persistent session, unless explicit steps are taken to recognise and recover from a server-side restart.

Noting that the traditional way of using the data-aware controls introduced by Delphi etc., is particularly vulnerable, and noting that the FPC/Lazarus controls do a good job of presenting a common API irrespective of what backend server is being used, would it be feasible to have a "reconnect monitor" or similar to help recover from this sort of thing?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk