Am 08.01.2018 08:50 schrieb "Ryan Joseph" <r...@thealchemistguild.com>:

I was talking with a c++ developer who explained how templates are
implemented in c++ and how use some recursive method which causes them to
totally murder compile times. This isn’t the first I’ve heard of the
problem though and I recall some game studios who develop engines in c++
saying they are strictly off limits for the same reasons.

Having just started to use generics in FPC myself I was curious if FPC
suffers from the same problem of slow compile times?

FPC essentially reparses a generic during specialization so I'd say that
they definitely affect compile times. However we're still only doing a
single pass of parsing. This while the compilation might be slower it might
not be as bad as with a C++ compiler.

As far as I know no one has done a benchmark for that however.

Regards,
Sven