On 2018-01-15 20:54, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
It's nothing but a zip with the needed dependencies.

More precisely, they use a standard ISO image that gets loop mounted. Simply rename any *.AppImage application with a .iso extension and you can examine the directory structure and content.

This is nothing new really. Linux has had many such attempts over the years. Anybody remember AutoPackage, Zero Install and others? I think Snappy from Canonical was the last attempt at this. None of them took hold in the community at large. I don't really know why - I have always thought "app bundles" was a good idea. Maybe 10th time lucky - after all, this is the year of Linux. ;-)

I suspect the idea is taken from MacOS, where apps are bundled in a similar
way.

Yeah, it looks or sounds similar, but like I said, this was done a few times before on Linux already.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/