On 07/03/2018 01:44 PM, leledumbo via fpc-pascal wrote:
i think i'm still waiting for the string "length byte" becoming a "length word" or possibly a "length long" so the speed of pascal strings can be
reacquired -=B-) >
Ansi and any other dynamic strings already have length longint that allows 2GB string length with O(1) length retrieval.

excellent... i've been confused by all the various string changes that have been made in the recent years since i joined the lists... the UTF stuff really spun my head around with all the various discussions and arguments... i'm still not sure i understand it... i don't need UTF but i hope that my newer programs are written properly to handle UTF if it ever comes up... they're generally console applications reading textual data from elsewhere and processing for local output...