On 07/17/18 11:00, Ryan Joseph wrote:

On Jul 17, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Jim Lee <jle...@gmail.com> wrote:

Likewise, "modern" programming languages are all converging on a common feature
set, like cultural cross-pollination.
if that’s our mindset then how do we account for times when we’ve actually
identified a common pattern that a language feature could address? I’m thinking
of things like methods in records, for..in loops etc… that made it into the
language and are widely adopted and enjoyed.

Regards,
        Ryan Joseph

Well, if we keep with the cultural parallel, in all cultures people must eat, sleep, drink, be born and die, etc.  There are a number of commonalities simply because all involve humans.  My point is that a language should not adopt a feature simply because it is useful in another language.  It has to fit the spirit of the language as well.

Be careful of thinking that "useful" means "I can do the same thing in language X in the same way I do it in language Y".  Eventually, X == Y.

-Jim