James dragged the solution a little bit away from the "quick-and-dirty-corner".

This way it is usable also in critical situations.

SMART is a never ending story and you jump into the jungle:

* A lot of noname disk have no entry in the SMART DB

* Even a half year old Maxtor/Seagate was not found  in an updated DB

* On external disks SMART is often disabled by default

* I don't know a Pascal interface to smart

But what will you exspect when the price for 1 TB is now down to 40.- €???

It would be a good idea if reality had not so many obstacles.

Winni