On Tue, 2020-08-18 at 11:08 +0200, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:
> There is no default configuration, because there is not one default
> standard. ...

Understood.

> Rule of thumb is that contributions should fit into the existing
> style.

<digress>In general when it comes to programming it is better to let
programmers focus on content, not style (especially when there is
supposed to only be one style in a given source file).

One could argue that lack of standardization (and tools to enforce thos
standards) cause programmers to do menial tasks that computers can do
much better at....</digress>

I guess I will need to make my own configs for ptop if I don't want to
be forced to manually focus on style...

It seems ptop does not understand function/procedure modifiers.
 https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refsu3.html

Maybe it does support/understand those, I'll just need to dig through
the configs, as theire is mention of "modifier" or "modifiers" in the
default config output. Of hand I don't see a "nocrbefore", but I see
functions have a type as the last item, but no modifiers...

The default config for ptop does not understand asm, but there is blank
entry for it, and I see that giving it the same rules as begin works
fine.

Is there a more robust code reformatter (command line / batch oriented)
that can used with free pascal? (before I start digging in to making
ptop work to remove one's focus from style and put it solely on
content?)

Sincerely,
Dwight Schauer