Am 09.01.2021 um 22:54 schrieb Bart via fpc-pascal:
On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 8:14 PM Yuriy Sydorov via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

So, I'll use a for loop to copy the data.

I assume that doing Arr[Index] := Default(T) will also finalize the
element if that element ismanaged?
For class object instances call Arr[Index].Free, for other managed types or
records containing managed types
Finalize(Arr[Index]) should work.
In the base class, is there a way to check wether Arr[Index] is an
object instance or a managed type or a datatype containing a managed
type?

If by "base class" you mean the generic class (and not a base class in the object hierarchy sense), then you can use the IsManagedType intrinsic which is available since 3.2.0.

Now the for loop (I abandoned the use of Move) does something like this:
   Arr[NewIndex] := Arr[OldIndex];  //do I have to finalize/free
Arr[NewIndex] also in this case?
No, the compiler will handle that correctly (it's just a normal assignment after all).

   Arr[OldIndex] := Default(T);  //I understand this is not enough in those
cases
This is only not enough for class instances if they should be Free'd. For everything else this is indeed enough.

Regards,
Sven