On Thu, 20 May 2021, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:52:47 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal wrote:

I would like my service application to restart itself once per 24 hours, but
only when nothing else is going on. So the application itself would know this
but how can I make it restart itself (as the service)?

Just exit ? If you configured systemd to start your app correctly it will restart it.

Is it as simple as that? Here is my service file:

[Unit]
Description=SSRemote Server
Wants=network.target
After=syslog.target network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/agi/ssremote/bin/SSRemoteServerLx
Restart=always  #<== This
RestartSec=10   #<== And this
KillMode=process
User=pi

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Do these 2 marked lines mean that if the service application just exits (with no
exit code) systemd will restart it after 10 seconds?

Yes.

And:
Right now I am running it as user pi as shown above, is there some reason I
should run it as root instead?

Running as root is not recommended. You can do it, but I would not.