> On May 29, 2022, at 2:26 PM, Martin Frb via fpc-pascal
> <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> Actually afaik you push an extra param in for "is nested" as well as for "of
> object.
>
> But for "of object" it is the first param, for "is nested" it is the last.

Then “references to” is the only universal function pointer type now (which is
great) but since it’s a heap constructed class it’s about 4 times slower than
the other ones. I still think FPC needs a universal stack based function
pointer type which works with objects, nested and global functions. Michael
hinted to how that could be done but it sounds like this all legacy baggage
from Delphi.

Ideally the programmer only has to consider “does it leave the scope or not”
and not have to worry about these other 2 is nested/of object types. I can’t
even think of any other language that has so many function pointer types which
are visible to the programmer (even c++???).

Regards,
        Ryan Joseph