Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> I must be missing something really basic. Why is enum fp_finger part of
> the API? Do people actually enroll all their fingers? If they do, why?
>
> It seems to me that I want to be identified by a single finger for most
> applications. Perhaps for high security, it would be worth testing more
> than one finger?
>
> If identification frequently has false negatives then it seems like I
> would want multiple versions of a single finger. Why does the API
> directly support multiple fingers but offers no specific support for
> multiple versions of the same finger? Or am I missing something?
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to remove enum fp_finger and move it to the
> application side (if needed)?

bacause single finger is usually not good enough

# Fingers
        FAR
1       ~1%
2       ~1%
4       ~0.1%
8       ~0.01%
10      <0.01%

Representative Finger 1:1 FAR Rates for FRR = 0.01% to 0.001%

The above table shows that with single finger, you will be 1 false
accepts in 100
If you are happy with that, then go for it.
--
simon