Pearl,

We only reference graphics and don't have any trouble keeping track of them (well, mostly no trouble). We name graphics according to their figure number or use and UNF for un-numbered graphics.  The rub comes when an author inserts a figure and all the figure numbers in the book change --- you end up with actual figure numbers being different than the figure number in the book, unless you renumber. Our books are done by chapter, so the quantity of graphics is usually small enough that we renumber to keep things in sync.  If the author adds a graphic its not as bad: you just add an alpha to the numbering scheme for the graphic (UNF1-1, UNF1-1b, UNF 1-2).

-bob
Robert Kern
President, TIPS Technical Publishing, Inc.
108 E. Main Street, Suite 4
Carrboro, NC  27510
www.technicalpublishing.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
919-933-2629 phone and fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Dominick,

I do not reference my graphics, but this may be a good reason to do
so. Altho having the graphics in the files makes them larger, I also
thought it would be easier to manage the book without a directory of
graphics.

I'd be interested to hear from those of you who reference graphics
about how hard it is (or isn't) to keep track of the graphic files.

Pearl Rosenberg
TeleHealth Services