On 27 Apr 2006, at 03:18, Peter Gold wrote:

I'm not sure if you'd find it by digging in Wikipedia, but to put your point in context, it helps to know that in the early days of unix and FrameMaker, as with the early days of CP/M, each hardware manufacturer had a proprietary version of the OS, which required software to be written, converted, adapted, or "ported" to run on it. To sell these adamantly-independent hardware platforms, their manufacturers like Pyramid, Sequent, CGI, NeXT, and others PAID BIG BUCKS to companies like Frame Technology, Sybase, and others whose software they wanted to offer to attract customers. NeXT even bundled FrameMaker 3.x with its machines.

I don't remember FrameMaker being bundled with NeXT boxes. Was it a trial version? We bought all of our licenses (could have been a site license). Should I call tech support?

I remember the word processor Write Now was bundled.

FWIW, Paul