At 06:03 AM 7/10/2006, Kay Ethier wrote:
Good suggestion, but with the number of markers with long entries, having
them do find/replaces each time they regenerate would be a pain.  They are
using XML and Structured Frame to automate processes, and having this
process break down is a serious glitch to them.

Kay,
The find/replace technique would need to be automated, either with a plug-in, FrameScript, or using a conversion table to structure the generated index, saving it to XML for XSLT processing, and then opening it back up in FrameMaker. Is the customer editing the markers in FrameMaker or in XML? With some conventions about formatting and font changes, it's fairly straightforward to duplicate FrameMaker's index functionality in XSLT, generating cross-references for all the page numbers.
        --Lynne

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynne A. Price

Frank, Scott,
   Very interesting. I created a MIF file in which I inserted an Index
marker containing 900 characters and also a variable whose definition had
900 characters. I opened the MIF file and saved the result back to MIF.
Both 900-character strings were still there, so the entire length indeed is
stored in the document.
   When I inserted the variable in the text, all 900 characters appear.
However, when I created an index, only the first 255 characters from the
marker text appear in the index entry. Thus, getting all the text into the
marker isn't sufficient to create the desired index.

Kay,
   Do any of the very long index entries differ after the 255th character?
If not, you might want to use an abbreviation of the full text in the
markers, generate the index, and then do a global replace of the short
names with their longer equivalents.
         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development, and training
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505 cell phone: (510) 421-2284