I have a client who when she creates a ps file from Frmae 7.2 and
distills her background boxes look skewed, ie the box narrows in some places and looks normal in others. From what I gathered from her is she creates a box, fills it with a solid color, lays a text box inside and types what ever words she wants or just types a text line inside the filled box. Either way the outside, or simulated shadow box, narrows in some places instead maintaining a constant size.

I seem to recall Shlomo Perets of microtype.com mentioning a bug distilling boxes with rounded corners. The straight sides would come out wavy. This sounds a little like your problem. I believe the fix was to uncheck the "Convert smooth lines to curves" option in the Acrobat job options.

Mike Wickham