I hope your research revealed that copying files into a document
instead of importing by reference is NOT the preferred method and also
that .JPG, generally, is a poor choice of formats and GIF not much
better because of color limitations. (I like PNG; others prefer TIF or
PDF.)

And if you didn't discover SnagIt yet, you may want to check it out.