On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:55 PM, Fred Ridder wrote:

Alternative #5 is to leave the taskbar (its official name, BTW)
[Thanks for the correction. I had the feeling that I was not using the proper term.]

unlocked
at at its normal bottom of the window position, but to grab its top
edge and "window-shade" it down to its minimum height (just a few
pixels--only big enough to allow you to grab the edge again when you
want to restore the taskbar) if you have dropped any FrameMaker
window with its title bar concealed behind the taskbar. Then when
you need the taskbar again, just grab its top edge and window-shade
it back to the desired height (1-row, 2-row, whatever). Takes almost
no time and minimal effort.

I might give this a try if I get tired of the taskbar being at the top of the window. However, it involves more use of the mouse - which I try to minimize. I would still welcome some clever person coming up with a "force to center" option in FM. On the other hand, once one knows of the workarounds, the cruddy implementation of taskbar behavior in XP is no big deal.

will white

There is something fascinating about science.
One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture
out of such a trifling investment of fact. - Twain