Hi, Ben.

B Hechter wrote:
Well, it looks like I will need to batch process a large number of ASCII
(plain text) system configuration files in the same manner, in order to
filter out information that I do not need, before I import them into Frame.

I don't know if this a proper topic for the list, but it takes me back to my
UNIX days of using "sed" with great success (even for a non-programmer like
me), to create a standard set of batch text processing instructions that
could be applied consistently and repetitively to large numbers of
pattern-based plain text files.

The question is two fold:
a) any sed FM users out there?

I still use sed for certain repetitive patterned-text editing functions,
but not to process the text for subsequent input into FrameMaker! This
would work fine, of course, just surprising to me.

b) are there other similar (economical) options for batch processing of text
files?

sed is free if you have a UNIX or Linux system handy. Price is tough
to beat. :)

But, perl is another very strong contender that I also use sometimes
for these task. In most ways, *much* stronger than sed (depending on
the complexity of the task at hand), but has a higher learning curve
- particular if you already know sed, or do not know either program.

Many free text editors, even on non-UNIX systems, have batch mode text
editing capability too ...