Production of:Technical Documentation - Online Content - Enterprise Websites

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:26:46 -0700From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: radical
revamping of techpubsTo: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: framers@lists.frameusers.com

Actually, I disagee, if the TW is a full partner participant - stakeholder, or
more likely the department manager in the scenario you are discussing, they
should also participate early on to get the sense of the uncertainty and what
those issues are, at the very least these issues are going to affect their
scheduling and the expectations they have to deal with.
----- Original Message ----From: Technical Writer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>To: Leslie
Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Monday, October 29, 2007
8:44:16 AMSubject: RE: radical revamping of techpubs

I agree wholeheartedly. That is not the issue. The issue goes back to the BA
interpretation of (and translation of) the software requirements. If there is a
high level of certainty on the client side about what the finished product
should be, TWs should start early. If not, and it is essentially a fishing
expedition with ambiguous outcome, TWs are only useful at the last.
Unfortunately, the "agile" methodologies strongly sell the sense of control to
executives, pushing the idea that they can develop on the fly, adding and
removing "requirements" as the executives see fit.
http://www.tekwrytrs.com/Specializing in the Design, Development, and
Production of:Technical Documentation - Online Content - Enterprise Websites>
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
framers@lists.frameusers.com> Subject: RE: radical revamping of techpubs> Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:04:10 -0500> > I belong to several message - interest
groups and I am used to hearing people give their opinions in a bombastic
manner. So its no> big deal to see that happening here. But if this discussion
is to have any real value it will be to share our perspectives with> others and
learn something about points of view's entirely different than our own, which
requires some tolerance and mutual respect.> > > My view and experience is that
it definitely helps to get the TW involved early on, but it’s a waste of time
for them to sit all the> way through each meeting, and for the entire duration
of each meeting.> > Marketing requirements documents and engineering
specification documents, if they are adequately written will help the TW
formulate> the user documentation at a fairly early stage, but the bulk of the
documentation effort comes towards the end of the development> cycle. And
ideally the writer of the user guide if that is they type of documentation we
are discussing now, should be a> knowledgeable user with some fresh insights
into the learning curve the novice user will face, and some empathy for that
new user.> > Ignoring the need for documentation, putting it off until the last
moment is a formula for poor quality documentation.> > - In my humble opinion.>
> Have a great work week!> > Leslie> > > -----Original Message-----> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On> Behalf Of Technical Writer>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:47 PM> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED];
framers@lists.frameusers.com> Subject: RE: radical revamping of techpubs> > >
Well, a difference of opinion is what makes a horse race. Iterative software
methods do not require iterative documentation methods;> in most cases,
documentation before the last iteration is considered both wasteful and
useless. While I have a great deal of respect> for Steve McConnell, proposing
early draft user guides as a replacement for requirement specs is a bit off the
road. > > If you develop software, and intend to use early draft user guides
instead of requirements, you are going to be greeting the folks> at Wal-Mart
rather than trying to pull back a contract or two from Bangalore. The statement
is at odds with most developers' (and> most business analysts') understanding
of "requirements." Putting an occasional "agile" into a sentence doesn't make
the process any> more reasonable. > > I didn't invent the idea of ignoring
documentation until the final product is ready (or almost ready) to ship. Far
more intelligent,> competent, and capable people than me have decided that
"involving TWs from the early stages of development" is only useful when the>
end product is carved in stone before the first line of code is written. That,
for better of worse, is rarely the case.> > Lastly, given that about a third of
all software projects, agile or otherwise, fail so badly they are abandoned, if
you ignore> documentation completely, you have a one in three chance of coming
out ahead when the project flops because you have at least saved> the cost of
documentation.> http://www.tekwrytrs.com/Specializing in the Design,
Development, and Production of:Technical Documentation - Online Content ->
Enterprise Websites> > > Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:21:17 -0700From: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: re: radical revamping of techpubsTo: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:> [EMAIL
PROTECTED], but I find the thread both:a) Off-topicb) Misleading. Iterative
sofware methods require iterative> documentation methods, but by no means do
they eliminate the parallel need for early draft user manuals. In fact, Steve
McConnell> (Code Complete) proposes early draft user guides as an agile
replacement for requirements specs.Ben> Because the application itself> is
built in an iterative process, rather than > being carved in stone, reacting to
feedback from the client, documentation > before> the last minute is pointless.
The reason should be obvious; the > application being documented in the early
stages bears little> resemblance > to the application delivered. Ben Hechter
Vancouver BC [EMAIL PROTECTED]>