Yves and Mathieu,

Unfortunately you can only apply color to an entire running header-footer. It
is possible though to create the effect you're after, but you have to sacrifice
using a user-defined variable in the heading. Since you only occasionally need
it, it might be feasible.

I'm sending a sample .fm file in a separate mail since what is described below
is a little complex.

1. Create <blue> and <purple> character formats.
2. Create four paragraph formats based on Heading1:

ProductNameHeading1 = Heading1 As Is + Runin Head, empty space punct.
ProductName1  = Heading1 AsIs + color Blue + Runin Head
ProductName2  = Heading1 AsIs + color Purple + Runin Head, 1 empyt space punct.
AfterProdName3 = Heading1 AsIs (no runin head)

3. In your header use four variables in your header:
 Running H/F 2  <$paratext[Heading1,ProductNameHeading1]> + 1 empty space
 Running H/F 5  <blue><$paratext[ProductName1]>
 Running H/F 6  <purple><$paratext[ProductName2]> + 1 empty space
 Running H/F 7  <$paratext[AfterProdName3]>

This will create a Heading 1 look-a-like that will include a two-color product
name in both the heading and header. One problem remains however, and that is
that you have to dispose of the text in Running H/F 5-7 with the next
appearance of a stand alone Heading 1. To do that:

4. Create an anchored frame in the next Heading 1. Position the frame so
outside the column. Inside the frame draw a textbox with three empty paragraph.
Apply the ProductName1, ProductName2, and AfterProdName3 formats to them. That
will wash out the Running H/F 5-7 in the Header and leave only Heading 1.

You can copy and paste the anchored frame as many times as you need it, or use
AutoText from Silicon Prairie to drop it in whenever needed.

B a r u c h   B r o d e r s e n
T e c h n i t e x t   D o c u m e n t a t i o n   I n c

******************************

Yves Barbion wrote:

Hi Mathieu

I guess you are using a character format in the middle of your variable
definition, for example <blue>Frame<purple>Maker?

I have tested this and, indeed, some properties of the character format (font
family, weight, spread, stretch, superscript) are also displayed in the Running
H/F, others are not (font size, color).

Is this a bug or "by design"?

--
Yves Barbion * Managing Director Scripto * Adobe-Certified FrameMaker
Instructor www.scripto.nu <http://www.scripto.nu>