One thing I did not see mentioned in this recent thread is the possiblity of
file name issues.

Over the years I have seen hundreds of frustrated users trying desperately to
created postscript or pdf and getting nothing but cryptic (or no) messages and
failure. In every case the problem was their file name. Some insist on using
special characters and writing novels in their file names, which is against
"best practices" but often works in Windows most of the time. Printers and pdf
all use Postscript code, which goes back to dos days, and which is therefore is
less tolerant of these "bad" names than Windows in general. The first thing you
should try is renaming the file to the old 8.3 standard with no special
characters. Even in this day I still see this issue a couple of times a year.