Rick, I think you are asking how to create a link to a URL in Word that will still point to that URL when the Word file is made into a PDF?

Type the URL into the Word file, and then press Enter. The link should become hypertext at that point.

Alternatively...

Enter the URL.
Select the text, and right-click.
Choose Hyperlink. The Insert Hyperlink dialog box appears.
If it's not already selected, select Existing File or Web Page in the left pane. You can also change what text that appears in the document (if you want something other than the URL).
Click OK.

That should convert to a link when you make your PDF.

Nadine