From: framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of David Spreadbury
Sent: August 1, 2011 5:18 AM
To: hessian...@yahoo.com; framers@lists.frameusers.com; mathieu jacquet
Subject: RE: warnings, cautions, notes in sw documentation

The use of Warnings, Cautions, and Notes, specifically Warnings and Cautions,
are used differently in different technologies.

Here are some links that may hep you to decide which use best fits your needs:

http://www.techcommunicators.com/dkmanual/chap5015.html
http://www.techcommunicators.com/emanuals/wrm/chap06/06-13_notes.htm
http://www.stc-soc.org/quill/2004-05/warnings.html
http://www.tpub.com/content/tentsshelters/TB-9-2320-360-13-P-2/TB-9-2320-360-13-P-20234.htm
http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/0403/techwhirl-0403-00541.html
http://goodtools.net/pages/SUNstyle/constr8.htm
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op990/en/SM/SFF/GUID-EA258A9C-D5EA-43BE-9A44-E8B52A0E594F.html

And MIL-STD-38784C states:
WARNINGS : Highlights an essential operating or maintenance procedure,
practice, condition, statement, etc, which, if not strictly observed, could
result in injury to, or death of, personnel or long term health hazards.

CAUTIONS: Highlights an essential operating or maintenance procedure, practice,
condition, statement, etc, which, if not strictly observed, could result in
damage to, or destruction of, equipment or loss of mission effectiveness.

NOTE: Highlights an essential operating or maintenance procedure, condition, or
statement.

Another thing that most people don't adhere to is that WARNINGS should come
before CAUTIONS, which should come before NOTES, when any two, or all three,
may apply to the following paragraph or section.