There are several considerations, some of which have already been addressed on
this thread.

(1)          There is only one “current” version of FrameMaker and that is
FrameMaker 10. Since there is relatively little FrameMaker product ever in the
retail channels, it is very unlikely that you are going to find legitimate,
factory-sealed, “new” copies of older versions of FrameMaker for sale, other
than perhaps FrameMaker 9. Although “used” copies of FrameMaker may be
available for sale, make sure that their license may be legitimately
transferred to you by the seller. There is a resource on Adobe’s website that
provides the instructions and forms for that. Note that an older version of
FrameMaker that was previously used by someone as the basis for an upgrade to a
newer version of FrameMaker cannot be sold or otherwise transferred. Academic,
student, and/or volume licenses likewise cannot be sold.

(2)          The only version of FrameMaker currently supported by Adobe is
FrameMaker 10. If you have any problems with older versions, you are pretty
much on your own (I believe Adobe will provide pay-per-incident support for
FrameMaker 9, but not for earlier versions).

(3)          If you expect official support for Windows 7 and Office 2010, then
FrameMaker 10 is your only option.

(4)          Versions of FrameMaker prior to FrameMaker 9 may have serious
problems with PDF creation on Windows 7 using the headless Distiller provided
with FrameMaker.

If as a small, struggling startup company you said you were running on old,
used systems running Windows XP and Office 2003 (or earlier), I would not be
so-concerned about use of an older FrameMaker version. Using Windows 7 and
Office 2010 changes the equation dramatically!

                - Dov