On 26/03/2012 9:20 PM, Roger Shuttleworth wrote:
Hi Matanya

As others have said, FrameMaker on Windows does not do ligatures; that's
because they are not included in the Windows character sets.

That is only partially true. Indeed the fi and fl ligatures are not part of the main character set and not accessible with Alt-0xxx numeric keyboard codes, but they do reside at the bottom end of most type 1 and TT fonts with U-xxx accessible codes. Just open the font with Windows' Character map to see this. The fact remains that both QuarkExpress and InDesign found a way to access these characters. I see no reason why FrameMaker cannot accomplish the same.

What both QuarkExpress and InDesign also are unable to do is access the ff, ffi and ffl ligatures, since, indeed, these characters are only found in Expert fonts. I could live with just fi and fl, if necessary. Why, then, I do not migrate to these typographically superior programs?

because they are deficient on features that are important to me in the production of scholarly books such as footnotes, indexes etc. There is a Quark extension that can do this, but it cost about twice as much as the program itself. So there, I am stuck with FM-8 and expert fonts.

The only
resource that I am aware of is at
http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/~hedrick/typography/
<http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/%7Ehedrick/typography/>
If you go to the bottom of that article, there's mention of a plugin for
ligatures, but it appears to be only for FM 6 or 7. Perhaps the author
may be able to suggest other resources.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphée Inc.,