Dear all,

The intensive discussion "Corporate madness, ..." draws my attention to increasingly bad feelings of about the software business. I have different opinions on shareware, open source projects etc.

Business needs to make money - so do i and there is nothing bad with it. However, sometimes i feel really enslaved as a customer or user:

  • Corporate Identity is prior to useability (see the november gray interfaces of Adobe)
  • Software i depend on for my business is not fixed (think a about that situation with cars)
  • Paying for the sw for long years does not make it my property (well that's the same with renting a house) - but then they should not call it 'purchase'.
  • New features are introduced just to be able to 'sell' a new version, despite the fact that long lasting requirements are not considerd for implementation at all.

All in all: friss oder stirb (feed or die)

For me the worst scenario will be SAAS (Software as a service), that is the sw is located in the cloud.
  • This is the end of Personal Computing.
  • There will be no possibility to work with a version which i have learned and with which i am efficient.
  • There will be no chance for plug-ins -- THE horror scenario for FrameMaker (and many others).

Just my few cents...
Klaus Daube

Docu + Design Daube; Schäracher 11; CH-8053 Zürich
Technical documentation & consultancy; On-line and paper
F: +41-44-422 86 25  E: d...@daube.ch  W: www.daube.ch