Hi,

I'm writing today to query others about the Standard versus High Quality Print
options under the PDF Setup in Adobe FrameMaker and Distiller.

The various PDF job options are being evaluated internally.  In particular (and
what I'm asking about now), in PDF Setup -> Settings -> PDF Job Options, some
use "Standard," while others use "High Quality Print" (same setting in
Distiller).  Based on what I have been told, there is no reason (benefit) to
using High Quality Print (versus Standard) even in docs that use more
screenshots and/or pictures, and my understanding is that High Quality Print
results in a larger file size.  (I have been using High Quality Print for
years.)

My question is whether using Standard (instead of High Quality Print) results
in any detrimental effect.

For reference, here is some information from Adobe:

Standard

* For desktop printers or digital copiers, published on CD or sent to client as
publishing proof * Uses compression/downsampling to reduce file size * Embeds
subsets of fonts, converts colors to sRGB, prints medium resolution, windows
font subsets not embedded by default * Opened in Acrobat and Reader 6.0 and
later High Quality Print * Quality printing on desktop printers and proofing
devices * Downsamples color and grayscale images to 300ppi and monochrome to
1200ppi * Embeds subsets of fonts, leaves colors unchanged, does not flatted
transparency * Opened in Acrobat and Reader 5.0 and later

For what it's worth, I am using Adobe FrameMaker 9 and 10 and Distiller 8.

Any feedback on what others have found while using High Quality Print versus
Standard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Melissa Clark