Richard has identified the most obvious potential cause for the problem you
describe.

But another possible cause is the change in the font metrics that occurs when
you change from one printer driver to another. (This is the reasons for the
infamous "Font information has changed" warning message.) FrameMaker obtains
information on the precise width of every character in every font used in the
document from the printer driver. When you change to a different driver (for
example from a physical printer to the Adobe PDF virtual printer for PDF
generation), there will always be some differences in the dimensions. These
differences are usually very small and insignificant, but if you will have a
line of text that is almost exactly the width of the text column even a tiny
difference in metrics can make a visible difference on the page. If one printer
has metrics that are a tiny bit smaller for some character(s) the line of
characters might fit on a single line on the page; but if the metrics are a
tiny bit larger on a different printer the line may be forced to break. A
couple of additional line breaks on a page may push a table row or a graphic to
the next page prematurely, and before you know it all your headings are on a
different page than when you started. This used to happen all the time when
printers usually had much lower resolution and the differences in font metrics
were therefore larger in magnitude. There used to be a good reason for Frame's
"Font information has changed" warning, and you may have run afoul of it here.
(Note that this phenomenon was one of the reasons why Word documents used to be
notorious for having pagination differences on different computers and
sometimes between on-screen and printed versions.)

If this is indeed what is going on, the solution is to switch to the printer
driver you will use for the final output *before* you do the final Update Book
operation to set the final pagination and generate the TOC to match. Or use a
workflow or a plug-in like Sundorne's SetPrinter to *always* use Adobe PDF as
the default printer for FrameMaker (assuming PDF is your final output).

-Fred Ridder