Apparently it's not as easy as I thought. According to the link below, there is no such thing as vertical alignment for text within a text frame, only within a table cell.
http://lists.frameusers.com/pipermail/framers/2007-December/010290.html

What you could do is add an extra paragraph mark before the table with space below the paragraph mark, and conventionalize the paragraph mark to only appear when the able row is hidden.
Regards,
Shmuel Wolfson
Technical Writer
052-763-7133