Yes, I think color conversions are that complex.
RGB was designed for monitors allowing a broad range of additive colors in the
form of light (i.e. lit pixels).
CMYK was designed for subtractive printing to paper offering a restricted range
of those colors; many of the RGB colors being "out of gamut" for CMYK, meaning
there is no formula to convert them.
Nobody serious is printing high-quality hardcopy using R, G, and B inks. And
I'm not sure why one would want to use CMYK to print to the screen.

Craig