At 11:12 -0700 24/4/06, Joanne Curme wrote:

>Is it better that the numbers are right-aligned? This seems more of an
>accounting requirement than a design one. With left alignment, the numerals
>for either the single-digit steps or the double-digit steps do not line up
>with the left margin grid. If, as in my template, the <n> step format aligns
>with the body left paragraph margins, this means either the first step or the
>last step (if it's double-digit) do not left-align with the introductory or
>summarizing text.
>
>...Whenever there are procedures with more than 9 steps (which can't be
>avoided sometimes :) ), the longer numerals simply have to move to either the
>left or the right. IMHO, it's more pleasing to the eye to maintain the left
>margin grid.

I'm replying as it was me who raised this point. To be honest, I didn't
consider issues of 'better' or 'worse', but merely reacted to the proofreader's
slight surprise that right-alignment was not used. Proofreader works on paper,
knows nothing about FrameMaker, or even that it was used, but does have a sound
sense of what is 'usual'.

As far as the esthetics of the two approaches, I'm looking at a printed book
with right-aligned list numbers, and I think I have a slight preference for
them. I do agree, though, that where most of your lists don't go into double
digits, the lack of left-margin alignment is... er... a lack. Seems like a case
of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't;-)
--
Steve