My inference is that hardware would not have been standardized without
Microsoft or some other aggressive, unifying business entity.

I've actually had good luck with PCs, but I've been a Mac user since
1984 and an Apple user for four years before that, a UNIX user about
the same length of time, and have built my own machines for close to
fifteen years now. Buy Intel motherboards :) and try again.