I think I may have accidentally come across a simple fix to the following
problem, which tripped me up on a previous job in FrameMaker:

. You are working on a document or book that uses a spot color for both text
and graphics

. The final job must print on no more than two plates

. The book uses illustrations prepared in a package like Illustrator

. The name of the spot (for example, Pantone) shade differs between FrameMaker
and Illustrator

. This causes the final PDF to contain two plate definitions for the same
color, one for the FrameMaker spot color and one for the illustrations, making
the final plate count three and not two.

I had battled with this before and not fixed it, so the printer had to alias
the two spot plates together.

If you create a color definition from a Pantone library in FrameMaker and then
change its name, the 'Ink Name' field in the color definitions dialog, which is
read-only, change=s from the Pantone name to 'None'. I'd assumed - and that
perhaps was my error - that this meant that the spot plate would not be output
correctly in Ps/PDF.

In fact, if you change the name of the spot color in FrameMaker to match the
name of the spot color in the CS app, such as Illustrator, a separations
preview in Acrobat shows that both colors are defined as using the same plate
in the resulting PDF. A print test of this has gone ok. [So what is the 'Ink
Name' field for? Oh well...]

There is a related issue, to do with Illustrator: a new spot swatch in
Illustrator (CS2) defaults to process output. You have to go into the swatch
palette menu, select Swatch Options, and set it to output as spot for the shade
not to result in CMYK plates. If you know that, and if you are creating your
own artwork, there is no problem. If you don't, or aren't, it requires eight
mouse-clicks per file to correct. I didn't, and wasn't, and there were over 420
such files in this job :-(

--
Steve