On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Les Smalley<l_c_smalley at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think you need to have at least formats for referring only to the numbered
> bit (e.g., Appendix D) as well as the entire title with number (e.g. Appendix
> D,?"Frying Pans and Toasters.")
>
> The biggest issue with the second format is if the text being cited includes
> punctuation itself.
>
> My preference would be to exclude terminal punctuation from the text and
> allow the writers to add it as needed in constructing their sentences
> including the references.
>
> I would also omit the quotation marks from the XRef formats and instead
> italicize (or bold) the text being cited (including the numbered prefixing
> info) to help it stand out from the surround paragraph and give your writers
> the maximum flexibility with a minimal number of formats to insert in their
> content.
>
> ? Les Smalley

As usual, Les has hit the nail! It's a good solution unless your style
guide is iron-clad in its support of the common usage of enclosing
quoted material in double quotes. Although these citations are quotes,
they are also source names; it's common to use italics or other
emphasis property to identify source names, such as these heading
titles.

I'd add the suggestion that you create a uniquely-named character
format, for example, "head_cite," that applies only the unique text
properties to the referenced material; this makes it easy to modify
the appearance, if necessary, without affecting "Emphasis, bold" or
other defined character formats.

HTH

Regards,

Peter