To be fairly clear about this, FrameMaker never natively supported import of
Visio drawings. What FrameMaker does support is Microsoft's OLE, Object Linking
and Embedding protocol by which you can place content from one application into
another effectively as a Window to that application. In the case cited,
whenever FrameMaker would encounter a .VSD file, it would effectively run Visio
via OLE to get display or print GDI stream associated with that content. In
other words, FrameMaker knows nothing about what is in the .VSD file, but lets
Windows dynamically handle the association between .VSD and Visio as well as
the requests to Visio to return the appropriate display and/or print GDI data.
This linkage also allows for clicking on such data and allowing the edit of the
data in the OLE-compliant application, in this case Visio.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has increasingly backed off of enthusiastic support
for OLE over the last eight to ten years. They pulled OLE support from the
Macintosh (never was a MacOS X version). The Visio OLE implementation seems to
have always been somewhat problematic. And reports are that Windows XP SP3
caused further incompatibilities. (It is this general lack of continued support
by Microsoft even back in 1999 plus a few other technical factors that lead
Adobe to not support OLE in InDesign!)

I tried a sample .VSD import (actually object placement) into a FrameMaker 8
document under Vista 32-bit SP1. It seemed to work although Visio 2007 SP1
seems to crash every time it closes. When I get back into the office on Monday,
I'll attempt to see whether FrameMaker 9 likewise works with OLE and Visio 2007
in my environment.

However, because of any number of problems we have heard about with XP SP3, I
cannot vouch for the FrameMaker, OLE, and Visio combination working if you
upgrade to FrameMaker 9. Too many variable outside of Adobe's control here.

In general, though, even if you could get a FrameMaker / OLE / Visio
combination to work, I would most strongly advise that you migrate away from
this type of solution given its general instability and Microsoft's apparent
lack of commitment to it in both Windows and Visio. A more stable solution is
creation of PDF from Visio and placement of that PDF into FrameMaker!

                - Dov