Setting up the paragraph autonumbering format is only one part of the process.
To accomplish what you describe, you also have to set the Paragraph tab of the
Numbering Properties dialog to "Continue Numbering from Previous Paragraph in
Book" rather than "Restart Paragraph Numbering" (which is the default
behavior). The easiest way to do this is to highlight the group of files that
need to be changed in the book window, then right-clicking on the group and
choosing Numbering Properties from the context menu.

Note that this properties setting affects all paragraph numbering in each file,
and that the behavior of the two settings is not symmetrical. If you set
"Restart...", *all* paragraph numberign will restart. But if you set the
numbering properties to "Continue...", it is still possible to set up the
paragraph numbering formats so that certain numbering counters are explicitly
reset in each chapter.

Also note than many legacy FrameMaker templates use continuous numbering for
figures and/or tables because in Frame versions prior to 6.0 there was no
Numbering properties sheet. The default behavior was to continue numbering and
you had to specifically design numbering formats and correctly apply the
special paragraph tags to make any of the numbering restart. But when Frame 6.0
introduced the numbering properties sheet and the $chapnum and $volnum system
variables, it became *much* easier to implement the chapter-item form of
numbering that is generally considered to provide easier navigation to figures
and tables in printed documents, and many templates were updated to that form
of numbering.

-Fred Ridder