Reading between the lines, your problem may be where you are doing the settings.
This now works similar to a standard printer setup. If you wish to change the
default settings, you must do it from the printer control panel. If you wish to
change the defaults for a specific job, you it from the print dialog prior to
printing. These do not "stick".

For PDF settings from a FrameMaker book, to change the defaults, go to the book
menu: Format>Document>PDF Setup. Make your desired default settings, click set,
and then SAVE THE BOOK. Now your chosen default settings will appear each time
you Save As the PDF (or print/distill).

If you make changes from the print dialog prior to printing, they will not
take, even if you save the book. Next time you will again see the defaults. I
think this is what is happening to you. I am not certain, but I think this
change may have been made with Version 10. Previously the settings would stick
if made from the print dialog box before printing, if you saved the book.

On a slightly different topic, since we do not need color separations, spot
printing, or any of the other higher end print operations, we find that Save As
PDF works much better than print/distill. As mentioned recently, printing to a
ps takes many times longer and bloats the file size. With Save As we do a pdf
file from a 1000 plus page frame book in less than 2 minutes with no issues.

In doing troublshooting for a large company, I find most pdf issues are caused
by two errors:
1. Attempting to "print" to other than the Adobe PDF printer. Will not work for
creating a pdf. Period.
(I have seen a couple of threads in the forum recently that infer that this is
what they are attempting)

2. Acrobat corruption triggered by attempting to simultaneously install
multiple versions of Acrobat, including Pro vs Reader. This has been cleaned up
some in the later installs, but I still see it frequently. You must fully
uninstall all versions of Acrobat and then reinstall only the one version to
avoid this issue.

Oran Petersen