At 13:17 +1200 23/6/13, Helen Borrie wrote:

>On the lists I manage, there are some users who are just plain hopeless at
>using the lists.  They post bulky, fancy, junky HTML when list etiquette
>really needs more consideration for others ( P L A I N   T E X T  without
>screeds of company notices and adverts) and they include huge graphics as
>attachments because they are too darned lazy to copy just the text of error
>messages.  Most lists are set up to put large messages on hold. The high limit
>is usually set pretty low, about 1 - 5 KB.

I know this isn't relevant here, but I just shouted 'YES!, YES!' when I read
this. I don't know whether it's some Microshaft default thing, and/or Yahoo's
infuriatingly massive padding of mail headers, and/or laziness, but I see so
much junk these days (although not here much). For example, I have a neighbour
who spends most of his time working in France. He has been known to send me
e-mails with four or five of his own (long) e-mails appended.

I guess those using HTML mail don't see it all, but I do in steam-driven but
totally lovely Eudora. I have seen e-mails of 15-20k (or even more, and
sometimes *much* more) containing only a single relevant line of message. My
default sig below was to try to make people aware of this issue, but it has so
far failed dismally. All this cr*p has to be stored somewhere, which takes disk
space, which takes resources and energy, which is so far mostly generated from
polluting sources. It's good to know that I'm not a lone voice crying in the
wilderness. I like you, Helen, even though I don't know you.

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]