You don't lose your content. The files don't turn into pumpkins when you quit
the subscription. Yes, you can't use the native files, but if you didn't plan a
content migration knowing you'd be dropping the parent application, whose fault
is that?

As a consultant, the model is extremely appealing to me. I can purchase use of
the tools for as long as I need them. When done, the source content resides
with the client, anyway.

As for cars, leasing has been a huge business for a couple of decades. There's
also a growing adoption of ride shares (pay for shared use of a car), and
rentals still are thriving.

I can understand if people are averted to the model as opposed to buying a
license, but the content issue, specifically, is a non-issue. You should always
have a plan/strategy surrounding your content.

---
Bill Swallow
Writing and Content Strategy
http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood