From: Framers
[mailto:framers-bounces+acraig=bkultrasound....@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf
Of Steve Rickaby
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2017 3:02 AM
To: An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software.
Subject: Re: [Framers] OFF TOPIC, Translation Need.

At 21:52 +0000 26/7/17, Craig, Alison wrote:

>Professional translators are supposed to live in the country where they speak
>the translation language. ISO certified firms will have this as a hiring
>requirement.

A slightly curious criterion, but I consider myself duly informed.

By 'translation language'. I guess you mean target language.

As someone who has danced around translation for many years, I accidentally
developed a small specialization in rewriting technical material originally
written in English by authors who did not have English as their first language.
I am very relieved that I never had to subcontract translation services,
because I have never been able to reconcile the correct balance between
expertise in the source and target languages and expertise in the subject
matter. Clearly both is the ideal, but such animals are a rare species indeed.
I would be interested to know what process in ISO certification of an LSP
verifies subject matter expertise.

For example, as a result of previous work on textbooks, I have recently done
'translation' of technical material written in German. I only have a smattering
of German, but I do understand the subject matter. So the 'translation' process
involves transliteration using freely-available online services, followed by
rewriting the copy so that it makes both linguistic and technical sense in the
target language, in this case English. The latter is the huge bulk of the work,
with a fair bit of ironing out of idiom in the source material.

I absolutely could not perform the reverse operation. So I guess I fit Alison's
criterion, in that I live in England: certainly my clients seem happy, but in
no way can I claim to be a professional translator. Conversely, someone with
good German skills but little or no understanding of, say, software development
methodologies, might well flounder. Leaving translation aside, I know of
English-speaking copy-editors who claim to be able to work on any material:
this makes me worried.

So what is the ideal balance between source/target language expertise and
subject matter expertise? I suspect this question is at the heart of LSP
specification, and Alison's suggestion of a 'test package' seems a very sound
one.

--
Steve
Send administrative questions to