I actually got this working, but I never finished it...  I was hung up on
hosting it on a web site, when hosting it on the file system would probably be
more useful...
Anyway, an XML file that captures sets of variables and definitions.  You can
swap out for a book by choosing the set and importing it.  And add to that just
plain old book-level variables...  A scrolling list with all the user
variables, their definitions, and a tick-box for change/leave as-is.  Go
through the list, set your variables, click DO IT, and your book is
transformed.  No need to hunt for a file to import formats, no dealing with the
clunky variable GUI (this can be much larger and easier to use).